Feb 17, 2009

"Awards are like getting a bonus" - Shreya Ghoshal

Shreya Ghoshal - The Princess!
E-mail interview with Shreya Ghoshal:
Ques-You made a singing debut in Devdas in 2000, where you sang songs that were lip synced by Aishwarya Rai Bachchan. How has the journey been?
Shreya-I have enjoyed every minute of my success. It is true I had a dream debut. I was 16 when I was given the opportunity to sing for Paro [Bachchan is character] in a movie made by a director of such high calibre like Sanjay Leela Bhansali. Devdas may have brought me many awards, but surprisingly there was a lull in my career following Devdas.
I was not flooded with offers despite sweeping many prestigious awards. I think many started classifying me as an Indian classical singer and thought that my voice did not suit the regular Bollywood pop songs.
Fortunately, the lull did not last long. A phenomenal thing happened - I got a call from Kreem (M.M.Keerawani) from Chennai and was offered the chance of singing Jadu Hai and Chalo Tumko Lekar for the film Jism. These songs were a milestone in my career and helped me establish myself as a worthy singer.
From that point on, there has been no looking back. And the best part is I have not limited myself to Hindi songs. I have tried my hand at Bengali, Tamil and Kannada. The variety in singing offers is also splendid. Now, for every classical song like Mere Dholna (Bhool Bhulaiya) there is a poppy Latto (Ghajini).
Ques-What is the best part about performing in Dubai?
I have performed in Dubai twice before and I love the crowd. It's like performing in India. They love good music and there is nothing more satisfying than performing in front of an audience who are keen to enjoy some great music.
I am not a singer who believes in planning every minute detail before a concert. I play it by ear, but you can surely expect to leave the venue satisfied.
Ques- You are one of the few singers to have won as many as eight awards in a year, including a national award for Best Singer for Devdas.
To me, awards are like getting a bonus. And to be honest, I never sing with expectations. Whether I win awards for a song or not, the question is whether I enjoyed singing the song. The real satisfaction is about getting a good song right.
Ques- What was your most memorable moment in your singing career?
Getting a telephone call from Sanjayji [director Sanjay Leela Bhansali].
Ques-If there is one song that you wish you had sung, which one would it be and why?
Oh, the list is endless. But if I were to pick, then I would have loved to sing the classics of Madan Mohan. His songs are close to my heart.
Ques-Which has been your most challenging project?
To be honest, every song is a challenge to me. Every time I record a song or perform in a concert, there is a series of question marks at the end of it.
Ques-Did you always want to be a singer?
Yes, I have always dreamt of becoming a singer. But to tell you the truth, I have always harboured another fantasy - being an astronaut who could fly to the moon and peer at the planet below.
Interview courtsey: Gulf News, Dubai

24 comments:

  1. hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii shereya je

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Shreya......
    I like ur singing soo much.. ur voice Quality, apke suronki mithaas..
    Main bhi gana sikhti hoon, aur apki tarah ganeki koshish hamesha rakhti hoon.
    Wish u all the very best... Aur muze aapke saath gane ka mauka milne ke liye main jarooor bahot mehnat karungi. Thanku shreya so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love very much your cute voice. Best of luck Future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hii shreya i am ur big big fan
    i love u too mch i love ur attractive personality
    plz tell mwn r v meeting
    love u to mch
    vinod thakur
    jammu j&k

    ReplyDelete
  5. dammm voice
    ur voice actually generated curosity in me to search for ur pic on net.....
    u r goodlooking toooo
    goodlck n marry chrsmas,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. we do xpect a reply shreya obviously if n when u r free,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    naggy2834@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherya mam i love u merijaan...

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi,shreya,i love ur voice.ur persanility is so attractive.i like it very much,ur voice toch my heart,u r so talented,u always inspiring me,ur nature is so beatiful same as you.wish u all the best.god may give huge sucsess 4 ur future.love u too much,

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi shreya i m abig fan of yourself..when u sings u just touch the strings of my heart...luv u very much...may god bless u with all the happiness of the world......

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi shreya
    if u dont want to loose ur great friend pls mail me on sahaj83@rediff.com
    by take care ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi shreya
    sory for disturb u ones again
    but i wnat to say u that i m not crazy abt u but so much loving abt u ....and one more thing that i m not doing time pass hear but i realy want to contact u atleast ones in life pls dont ignore me..i do not see music ka maha mukabala b'coz if i see u on tv after than i so much miss u ...
    now stop....
    by take care..sahaj83@rediff.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hiiiiiiiiii shreya jii
    i lv u n ur singing vry much....mein aapki bot badi fan hun or aapki tarah ek singer banna chahti hun.mera naam pratibha h or mera nic name pari.mein aapko apni jaankari isliye de ri un qki mein is saal lil champs mein hissa zaroor lungi....or aapse milne ki umed bhi krungi

    mein aapse apni id pr bt krna chahti hun
    meri id h
    bhatiaparibhatia@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi shreya u have such a cuteness that i see only on ur face in my bulky engg. books.
    i love you.

    yours 4ever

    sumeet shekhar

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello shreya ami tumar ekta chooto fan hocchi amake tumar gaan onek bahlo lage tumar muk ta dekhte ekdom amar ekta bondhur moton ami tuamr gaan ke onek bahlo basi, tumar gola onek misti hocche, sotti lage tumar golae maa sorosoti baas kore, 1st time ami tumake Maha mukabala te 17-01-2010 te dekechilom, joto tumar golo sundor otoe tumai sundor hoccho maa kalir dibbi ami tumake onek bhalo basi, r 1st time ami tumar gaan jism chobi te sune chilom oei gaan ta JADU HIAN NASA HAIN Ki daaron tumi gaao, shreya ki tumi aamake niger chobi sand korte paro? khub upogar hobe
    tumar ek ta chooto fan
    Subrato Ghosh
    subrat8468@yahoo.com
    +91-9015509413

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello shreya ami tumar ekta chooto fan hocchi amake tumar gaan onek bahlo lage tumar muk ta dekhte ekdom amar ekta bondhur moton ami tuamr gaan ke onek bahlo basi, tumar gola onek misti hocche, sotti lage tumar golae maa sorosoti baas kore, 1st time ami tumake Maha mukabala te 17-01-2010 te dekechilom, joto tumar golo sundor otoe tumai sundor hoccho maa kalir dibbi ami tumake onek bhalo basi, r 1st time ami tumar gaan jism chobi te sune chilom oei gaan ta JADU HIAN NASA HAIN Ki daaron tumi gaao, shreya ki tumi aamake niger chobi sand korte paro? khub upogar hobe
    tumar ek ta chooto fan
    Subrato Ghosh
    subrat8468@yahoo.com
    +91-9015509413

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hiiiiiiiiii shreya ji

    i love your singing and i m crazy 4 ur every sad song. i m your very big fan of the world.
    you r a great singer of the world.
    my best wishes 4 u every time with u.
    mob.09617256541

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi madam i'm Aditya according to me you are the most beasutiful woman in the world & the best singer in the world. I wish you best of luck for your next project can we be friends

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi shreya sorry to disturb you once again but wanted to giv you some thing
    1.Na saathi na humsafar hai koi,
    Na kisike hum na hamara hai koi,
    Par aapko dekh ke keh sakate hai,
    Ek pyaara sa dost hamara bhi hai koi.
    2.Rishto ne har qadam pe imtihaan liya,
    Tanhayi ne har mod pe dhoka diya,
    Zindagi se phir bhi shikayat nahi,
    Kyuki zindagi ne aap jaise dost bhi diya.
    3.Dil ke jajbaat ki aawaz nahi hoti,
    Ikraar mein suron ki barsaat nahi hoti,
    Nigahein bayan kar deti hai saari dastaan,
    Dosti lafzon ki mohataaz nahi hoti.
    4.Meri “Dosti” woh rang hai jo aap chuda nahi paoge,
    Bas itni gujarish hai aapse ki “SURF EXCEL” se mat dhona,
    Varna doondte reh jaoge!!
    5.Dost dost se khafa nahi hota,
    Pyaar pyaar se juda nahi hota,
    Bhula dena meri kuch kamiyon ko,
    Kyunki insaan kabhi Khuda nahi hota.
    6.Khuda se kya mangu tere vaaste,
    Sada khushiyon se bhare ho tere raaste,
    Hansi tere chehre pe rahe is tarah,
    Khushboo phool ka sath nibhati hai jis tarah.
    7.Manga tha maut toh zindagi de di,
    Andheron ne bhi hame roshni de di,
    Khuda se pucha kya haseen tohfa hai aap ke paas,
    Jawan main usne tumhari dosti de di.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Shreya I Like your voice which is so sweet.
    I became your fan when i firstly listen your song "Agar tum mil jao" I think you are the best

    ReplyDelete
  22. hiiii there sherya , i like ur songs which u vil sing for kannada and i heard that u vil love 2 sing kannada songs. ya then thats great. anyway wish u all the best.take care gud luck bye. -likithg.p bangalore-91

    ReplyDelete
  23. hii shreya

    your songs are as beautiful as U

    :-Prajwal chaudhari

    ReplyDelete